Sunday, October 23, 2005

Halloween

Saw some cheap pumpkin while doing my weekly grocery. Couldn't resist the offer, I carried one home.

Eversince I suffered a deep cut from slicing those tough skins off the pumpkin 2 months ago, I somehow got probia.

Very sweet of my sister who offered to help me with that when she dropped by.

Managed to bake some pumpkin cupcakes. I didn't have time to do frosting as I needed to rush out for an errand. Gave a batch to give to a friend who was nice enough to give me her daugther's ballet outfit.

Unfortunately, the shoe size was a little too big for my daughter so I might need to get her a new pair if I couldn't get a second hand one. (afraid her interest will be short-lived)

Verdict: Nice and yummy

Photobucket

What you need:

200g all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (roasted)
1 cup raisins
8 oz pumpkin (steamed and mashed)
110g castor sugar
100g brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs

Method

Preheat oven at 190 degree celcius.

Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together.

Add salt.

Whisk together the pumpkin, castor sugar, brown sugar and oil.

Add the eggs one at a time.

Add int the flour mixture in three additions, stirring till just combined.

Fill into muffin tins and bake till the cupcake are golden brown for about 20 - 25 mins.

Since, I have more than enough pumpkin, I decided to baked a pumpkin bread too. As this is my first time tasting pumpkin bread, I don't know whether the texture is supposed to be moist and dense (kueh like).

I also make a blundder, instead of olive oil, I added Extra Virgin Olive oil instead.

Wonder whether it does affect the quality of the cake.

Verdict: Mosit and dense.

Photobucket

Another new dish I tried out is Sweet Bean paste chicken. The paste was prepared by my mom.

Verdict: A real easy and yummy dish.

Photobucket

What you need:

2 tbsp Mommy's sweat bean sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 Chicken tighs, chopped to smaller pieces

Method

Sautee garlic for about 1 min and add in sweet bean sauce. Fry till fragrant.

Add in chicken and stir fry till meat is coated with sauce.

Add in a little water and simmer till cooked and juice wanted to dry up a little.

Serve with rice.

Mommy's sweet bean sauce

What you need

620g preserved soya bean (grinded)
250g minced onion*
125g minced garlic*
200ml peanut oil

Method

Heat oil, add onion and fry till fragrant.

Add in garlic and fry till fragrant.

Add in soya beans.

Simmer till fragrant

Add in sugar to taste (depending on your preference, a guide is to even out the saltishness of the soya bean, stir once a while.

Cooked till bean sauce becomes dark brown and remove oil.

Cool and store.
Print Friendly and PDF

15 comments:

  1. Hi Edith

    May I know which recipe you used to make pumpkin cupcake? I would like to try this. Looks yummy and I love pumpkin.

    Rgds, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, can i post after my son's exam (after Wed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet bean paste chicken. Yours looks so delicious. Any recipe? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith

    Hey! No hurry... take your time. Hope your son do well in his final exam...

    Rgds, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jessie, this week my son is having exam. Will ask my mom for her bean formula and post this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Stumble on ur blog. really amazed by ur ability to make baking & cooking so effortless! The photos of your food looks so yummy!!!
    Make me so ashamed of myself..i can onli cook MAGGI MEE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I started off cooking only maggi mee too. After 6 long years of eating out every meal, you will eventually decide to have some fun in the kitchen. Don't worry, your time will come. I am also in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too started off cooking maggie mee too and we can really get creative too! *wink* Yup, precious M is so right....we will improve in time and have lots of fun in the kitchen.

    I hope you don't mind me linking your blog at my blogger.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess, I have already posted the sweet bean sauce recipe. Hope you like it as much as I do. This goes well with steaming either fish or pork ribs too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe and the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Edith

    Finally, I get to try your pumpkin cupcake. I did not put in cloves coz I dont have. It is very nice... Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edith

    Finally, I get to try your pumpkin cupcake. I did not put in cloves coz I dont have. It is very nice... Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe and the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Connie, can i post after my son's exam (after Wed).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin