Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Sedap!

Finally I had a chance to try my hand at Fruit Tarts. In fact, this is my virgin tart coz' I have never tried baking this before.

This recipe was shared by Karen and had received many very positive reviews.

So since hubby is in town and babysitting the kids. I am free to explore. Initially, I was a little lost as to whether I should roll out the dough or just "press it" into the mould.

I tried out my first batch with the "press in" method and it didn't turn out ugly except that I realised that I didn't poke holes till it was in the oven!!!! Luckily no damage done.

Verdict: Hubby loves the crust.

Photobucket

What you need
Yield: 24 tarts

Tart shells

250g butter (room temperature)
110g caster sugar
½ egg
500g plain flour

Method

Cream the butter with caster sugar until white and creamy.

Add egg and continue to beat.

Fold in flour until it becomes a dough.

Line the small tart tins with dough. Poke holes using a fork on the tart shell

Bake at 175°C for 10 mins or till golden brown.

Slide tart out and let it cool down.

Creme Patissiere

1 litre milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
10 egg yolks
250g castor sugar
50 plain flour
50g corn flour

Method

Heat the milk and vanilla essence gently until just boiling. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick, then stir in the flour and cornflour.

Gradually stir the milk into the egg mixture.

Pour the custard into the saucepan and heat gently, beating continuously until mixture thickens and boils.

Boil for 1 min, stiring continuously, remove from heat and cool.

Scoop the cooled custard into each tart shell, decorate top with fruits(strawberry, kiwi, peach, grapes etc).

Glaze fruits.
Print Friendly and PDF

22 comments:

  1. Saw the recipe in the forum as well. I am going to make once I buy the mould but dunno when!! *lol*

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. tks for sharing the recipe E. _k

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tarts look simply delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks nice! :) By the way wats 'Glaze It' means? Wat do we use? tks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glaze means putting a layer of either gel or jam over it to make it shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi did u use jelly as a glaze or warmed jam??? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. i used piping gel but you can used those that you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Where can I purchase Piping Gel in S'pore??? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, available in most of the baking supply shops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot!! Will be making it today, and I will update you on the results1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to update you.

    I made the tarts and they came out crispy and nice. Next time I will bake it less so that it's more like Delifrance's Fruit tart. I used a recipe for the custard which uses no eggs, just custard powder, and it turned out to be more solid than I expected, so I ended up breaking my piping bag :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh dear Amrita, I hope this won't defer you from baking these tarts. Based on this recipe, the custard are just nice. Perhaps next round you might want to consider trying it. You will enjoy as much as my family did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    The tarts looks delicious ...

    If i were to use custard powder, how much is the quantity :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for dropping by Moon. I am sorry I can't answer your question on this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have tried this recipe. I love it absolutely!

    I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the generous recipe. I hope you could enlighten me on this question. You mentioned cream the butter and sugar till white and creamy. Does it mean till the sugar totally dissolve? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks anonymous for dropping by. Glad that you like the recipe.

    Hi Anonymous, normally when the recipe state cream butter and sugar till white and creamy it means that the butter has lighten the colour and the sugar is no longer visible to the naked eyes. I guess it is not necessary to be totally dissolved. For baking, I normally used castor sugar. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will try it out one day.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Olivia for dropping by. You will love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Olivia for dropping by. You will love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saw the recipe in the forum as well. I am going to make once I buy the mould but dunno when!! *lol*

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi

    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will try it out one day.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin