Friday, August 12, 2005

New

After bread making, I have attempted another new experience - sweet making. I bought a bottle of rose water during one of my grocery trip. Don't ask me why, I just did it without having a clue what to do with it.

Jan and Blondie came to my rescue, they got a recipe for Turkish Delight and a Rose Petal Pound cake respectively. Sweet making is so new to me, so I decided to venture into it. Knowing how I hated failure, Jan went ahead and try it, it was a success.

The result of mine was not so satisfactory.

My next attempt, I will have to reduced the sugar to 150g. I couldn't get that chewy texture too. My cousin said that to achieve a very chewy texture, you need to boil it longer. Perhaps it was the heating temperature that I didn't get it right. Too afraid that I will burnt it as I wasn't using a non stick pot. I have a packet of snow powder on hand, so I decided to use that for coating and it works.

Verdict: I was pretty surprised that son like it because generally, he doesn't really take soft candy.

Photobucket

What you need:

25g gelatine
100g sugar
¼ tsp citric acid
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp triple strength rose water
few drops of food colourings (optional)
snow powder (50g icing sugar + 25g corn flour)

Method


Place 200ml water in a large saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatine on the liquid. Set aside for 15 min until the gelatine is spongy.

Add the sugar and citric acid, place the saucepan over gentle heat, stir constantly until dissolved. Bring the mixture to the boil and boil for 20 mins without stirring. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 mins.

Stir in the vanilla essence, rose water and colouring (if use). Pour into a wetted 15cm square tin. Leave uncovered in a cool place for 24 hours.

Sift the snow powder on to a sheet of greaseproof paper. Turn the Turkish delights onto the paper and cut into small squares using a sharp knife dipped in the icing mixture.

Toss well in the mixture so that all sides are coated. Pack in air tight container lined with waxed paper and dusted with the snow powder.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin