Saturday, July 30, 2005

Yipee, I have succeeded

Today, I am so happy. After a day of doubting myself whether I can do it, I finally did it.

Never had the gut to try but had been wanting to bake a chiffon cake for upteen years ago. My mom's hand me down a chiffon tin that I feel, was way too big.

I asked her why she bought such a big one and she told me during that time, we had a big family to feed!!!

After reading so much good review on Florence's Orange Chiffon Cake, I decided to give it a shot even though I don't have a chiffon tin.

As I was cutting the cake, hubby came back earlier than before. With my back turned, he took two pieces. Guess he loves it. Thanks Florence! Your recipes always give me confidence to try another one.

Photobucket

What you need

115g Cake Flour
3/4 tsp Baking powder
85ml Warm orange juice (put it in hot water bath)
Grated zest of 1 large orange
5 egg yolk
30g castor sugar
Salt 1/4 tsp
5 egg white
50g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
60ml Corn oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence or 2 tsp Rum

Method:

Sieve flour and baking powder.

Use hand whisk to whisk egg yolk until creamy and light in colour.

Add in corn oil then warm orange juice and rum.

Add in flour mixture into yolk mixture lightly.

Add in orange zest.

Beat egg white with electric beater until big bubbles formed.

Sprinkle in cream of tartar and beat until it is white in colour.

Add in 50g sugar 3 times (a little at a time) and beat until stiff perks formed. About 8 - 10 minutes for 150w egg beater.

Pour 1/2 egg white into flour mixture in (3) and blend well.

Pour flour mixture into the rest of the egg white and blend well.

Bake at 175C for 45 minutes or until cooked.

Invert the cooked cake during cooling process.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking chiffony cake..can tell it's really soft, good job Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, I've never bake chiffon cake b4 and tried out your recipe last nite. It turns out very soft but doesn't rise much. What went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. beating of egg white is very impt. maybe you overbeat it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin