Thursday, July 07, 2005

Craving

I normally dislike shaving those tiny water chestnut. Once I witness this lady from Cameron Highland who can do such an amazing job. She was shaving it at such fast speed with a big long knife. I guess practise makes perfect.

Since I was craving for Water Chestnut Cake available usually when you are having Dim Sum. I got my act together and only managed to shave 300g of fresh water chestnut. So I need to half what Do What I Like was sharing with us, her Water Chestnut Cake. Thanks, it was really yummy.

I will learn to be a little more patience because it is much easier and neater to cut it when the cake was cooled down. I also reduced the sugar.

Photobucket

What you need

125g water chestnut flour
250ml water
300g fresh water chestnut (skinned and diced)
375ml water
120g rock sugar

Method

Mix water chestnut flour with 250ml water.

Rest for 10 mins and strain.

Cook rock sugar with 375ml water till sugar dissolve.

Add in the diced water chestnut.

Pour water chestnut mixture and keep stirring till thicken.

Pour the thicken chestnut mixture into a well greased 6" pan.

Steam on high heat for 20 mins.

Cut only when the cake has cooled down.
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. edith, can get ready-shaved water chestnuts in the wet market now. saves the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I saw that before but I got very sensitive stomache lining so cannot take anything that is precut. Hence, I don't take cut fruits from outside source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Edith, I really like your blog a lot. I hope to learn how to make this dish and would like to ask you some questions.
    - You mentioned that you mix the water chestnut flour with water. Rest for 10 mins & strain. What do you mean by strain?

    - May I know what you use to grease the pan? Can I use butter?

    So sorry for asking you such silly questions, really hope to hear from u soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks YH for dropping by. Strain meaning you put it in a sieve and liquid goes past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Edith, I really like your blog a lot. I hope to learn how to make this dish and would like to ask you some questions.
    - You mentioned that you mix the water chestnut flour with water. Rest for 10 mins & strain. What do you mean by strain?

    - May I know what you use to grease the pan? Can I use butter?

    So sorry for asking you such silly questions, really hope to hear from u soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, I saw that before but I got very sensitive stomache lining so cannot take anything that is precut. Hence, I don't take cut fruits from outside source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks YH for dropping by. Strain meaning you put it in a sieve and liquid goes past.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin