Saturday, June 18, 2005

Happy Father's Day

Today is Father's Day.

We were be gathering at my dad's place for a simple lunch. I volunteered to prepare lunch and also bake a cake for him. Saw pretty good review on Florence's No Bake Durian Cheese Cake, I decided to try that out since I wasn't really into baking mood, but would really wanted to make something nice for my dad.

So yesterday, got my hubby to get some really good durian from our favourite durian stall. Was busy at the kitchen last night trying to finish it up before bedtime.

For the first time, my hubby came into the kitchen and help out with the washing. I think that is really nice of him. This morning, I wanted to try my hand at frosting as I needed some wordings on the cake.

Well, it turned out so plain and ugly looking.

Photobucket

Nevertheless, the cake is nice and my family likes it especially my niece.

Photobucket

What you need:

Biscuit base

200g digestive biscuits crushed finely
80g melted butter

Durian Filling

160g cream cheese (room temperature)
80g castor sugar
4 eggs
200g sweet whipping cream (whipped)
25g gelatine powder dissolved in 120ml hot water
240g durian puree (cooked in double boiler till it thicken)

Method:

Mix biscuit crumbs with melted butter and press it firmly onto the base of a 22cm springform cake pan and chill for 30 minutes.

Whip the sweet whipping cream till peak and chill it.

Melt the gelatine powder with 120ml water in hot water bath and leave to cool for use later.

Beat cream cheese with sugar till soft and smooth.

Add in the eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.

Blend in the durian puree and then whipped cream.

Stir in the cooled gelatine solution.

Pour cheese mixture onto cake base and chill for 30 minutes.

As for our simple lunch, what is easier than Cream of Carrot Soup as starter and Bolognese Spaghetti? heehee.

Photobucket Photobucket

I normally don't brown my meat because I find it tougher is I do so.

What you need for bolognese sauce

60g butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
500g lean beef mince
1 tbsp oregano
500ml beef stock (either use brovil or beef cube)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cans of tomatoes puree

Method

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add garlic and fry till fragrant.

Increase heat and add oregano, beef stock, tomato puree, tomato paste and beef.

Reduce heat and cover lid.

Allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Stirring occasionally.

Season with salt and pepper.
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Edith,

    The wording on your cake looks really nice to me. Sure is so much better than I'd do. Your father must have been really happy that you went to all that trouble to make a homemade cake for him, plus making the carrot soup and spaghetti bolognese. Hope you all had a good time. Any chance of sharing your recipe for your spaghetti? -lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey u can at least pipe out some decent wordings on a cake, I can't even do that! Nice cake, Edith...what a wonderful daughter ur to ur dad, he must be very happy eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith,

    Thanks for posting your bolognese spaghetti recipe. Mine usually comes out to acidic for my taste, due to the use of canned tomato sauce with canned stewing tomatoes. I think the combination of tomato paste and puree will be better for me. That's a good idea about not sauteing the meat first. I'll try that as well. Thanks again -lance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi edith,
    ill like to try making ur no bake durian cream cheesecake. Could u advise:
    1) when beating cream cheese n sugar - use beater, not whisk?
    2) add eggs 1 by 1 - still using beater, not whisk?

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susanna for dropping by. Usually I used a K beater to do the job. Generally whisk is for beating egg whites.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin