Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Double Crust

I have always wanted to make Chicken Pie. Tasted so many wonderful ones before and I was hoping one day I can bake one too.

I was going through the internet and wonder which is the best crust. Being a novice, I couldn't decide.

I wasn't too pleased with the crust as I find it too flaky. It was not easy to lift off from the cup. But overall, hubby said for first timer, not too bad.

Photobucket

What you need:

3 chicken breast
1 punnet of white button mushrooms (sliced)
1 onion (diced)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
Pepper Salt
A dash of white wine
1 tbsp worchester sauce
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup carrot (diced)
1/2 cup peas
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk

Method:

Sautee onion with butter till soften, add on garlic and fry till light brown

Add in carrot and mushroom. Cook for about 5 mins.

Add chicken, and a dash of wine, stir fry for 5 mins.

Add flour and mixed well.

Add milk and season to taste with worchester sauce and pepper. Simmer till liquid thickens.

Add in peas.

Leave to cool.

Fill into pie crust.

Pie Crust

What you need:

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Crisco shortening
3 tbsp cold water

Method:

Combine flour and salt.

Cut in shortening with pastry blender till mixture becomes a coarse crumb.

Sprinkle water, 1 tbsp at a time. When all water has been added, work dough into a firm ball.

On a lightly flour surface, roll dough into desired thickness.

Ease into the cup, fill in the ingredient.

Do the same for the top crust.

Bake at 170 degress celsius for 30 mins.

P/S: I brush it with some egg mixture for a gloss look.

As I need to clear my big bag of potatoes and some block of cheese. I decided to whip up my son's favourite. I usually add just Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese but since I got Edam, Colby and Mozzarella. I just grated all in.

Personally, I think Cheddar browned nicely but taste wise, no difference. Son had three helpings to this.

Photobucket

What you need:

600g Russet Potatoes
Mozzarella Cheese, grated Colby Cheese, grated Edam Cheese, grated
Pepper
50g Salted Butter
2 tbsp of milk

Topping: Cheddar Cheese, grated

Method

Scrub potaotes, boil in water till soften. Peel skin and mashed till very fine.

Add butter, milk, pepper and the three cheeses into mashed potatoes. Mixed well.

Pour onto a pie dish, spread out evenly.

For topping, spread Cheddar cheese over it.

Bake for 30 mins at 170 degree celsius or till brown.
Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. My god Edith, I was thinking of the same thing as u! Been wanting to make chicken pies too & even created the recipe last week, bought the ingredients on the weekends but never have the time to start on..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hat off to you for making your own pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Edith, thanks for the pie pastry. I wish I had visited your blog sooner as my potato curry crust is very tough. I made it yesterday and posted it at KC as I can't log in at Rainbow's Connection and wonder why. Lynda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hihi! can teach me how to make the 3 cheese potato mash? I am a potato FREAK! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello

    this is a very beatfiful site
    good background music also
    i am going to try chicken pie this evening
    what is the famous dish of your country, singapore
    like pizza of italy, fried chicken of america
    etc

    pls send photos of your kids
    if it is existing in the site, pls tell me where it is

    regards

    prakashettan@gmail.com
    www.prakashetten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Looks good and yummy. You don't have to peel the potatoes. Just wash them clean and boil them till soft. Put the hot potato one at a time in a ricer, (the utensil that we use to extract coconut milk that comes with a long handle). and press. Hey Presto! mashed potato the skin will be left in the container. You can do what you like with the ready mashed potato. Use it if you have one, rather than letting it sit in the cupboard. Hope you don't mind my suggestion. Just trying to give you a method I learn from my chef son.Ciao.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just realised that I didn't respond to the comments made back then. Apologies to all.

    Airenchan, thanks for the wonderful tip but I don't have a ricer here and actually a picture to show mw how it looks like will be wonderful. Is this avail in Singapore, am thinking of getting one as we eats alot of mashed potatoes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Looks good and yummy. You don't have to peel the potatoes. Just wash them clean and boil them till soft. Put the hot potato one at a time in a ricer, (the utensil that we use to extract coconut milk that comes with a long handle). and press. Hey Presto! mashed potato the skin will be left in the container. You can do what you like with the ready mashed potato. Use it if you have one, rather than letting it sit in the cupboard. Hope you don't mind my suggestion. Just trying to give you a method I learn from my chef son.Ciao.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just realised that I didn't respond to the comments made back then. Apologies to all.

    Airenchan, thanks for the wonderful tip but I don't have a ricer here and actually a picture to show mw how it looks like will be wonderful. Is this avail in Singapore, am thinking of getting one as we eats alot of mashed potatoes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin