Saturday, April 09, 2005

Going bananas!

Taking advantage of my baking climax, I continued to prepare another dessert last night. Banana has always been one of my family's favourite. Besides eating it as it is, the only two recipes that I know are either banana muffins or banana cake. There were tons and tons of recipes on banana loaf, bread, pudding, pie and etc.

I went through all seeking for one that is easy (for a beginner like me) and also does not require me to use an instant pudding mix. It was hard job.

Finally, I decided to create my own version of Banana Cream Pie with chocolate sauce using Oreo cookies as base.

Son was game enough to help me with the base. Well done boy!

Verdict: yum yum

Photobucket

What you need:
Pie Crust

15 oreo cookies (crushed)
70g melted butter

Filling

2¼ cup milk
¾ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
4 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 egg yolks
¼ cup whipping cream
2 tbsp butter
¼ tbsp banana essence
3 med sized bananas, cubed or sliced

Methods:

Mix well sugar, salt, flour and cornstarch.

Heat milk in double boiler till bubbles appeared. Remove.

Stir milk into sugar mixture gradually. Stir well.

Return to double boiler and cook for 15 mins, stirring constantly. Mixture will thicken.. Remove.

Beat egg yolks and add small amount to the mixture, blend well.

Return to boiler, cook for 5 mins, stirring.

Add butter and mix well.

Add whipping cream and mix well. Remove.

Spread ½ of the mixture into pie crust, and then banana slices and pour the remaining mixture.

Decorate with whipping cream and chocolate sauce.

Serve chilled.
Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. good gracious..so delicious looking.like those served in Hotel's bakeries. share recipe with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman, goin thru yr blog mks me damn hungry, man!!! Me thou love to eat, but am hopeless when it comes to cookin.. Hope 1 day you can show me the ropes of some simple hm cookin.. (Think bf is gettin tired of eatin out for every meal liao... haiz!!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fabulous. Thanks. Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is my first time to your blog.

    I love this Banana Cream Pie, may I check the whipping cream is it a Dairy or Non Dairy Whipping Cream?

    Thank you.

    With Love,

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, most of my bakes, I love using dairy whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynda,

    Thank you for your reply. You are very sweet. Your husband and kids are very lucky to have you. I always think that woman that know how to cook and bake make them very beautiful.

    I have have 2 kids age 5 and 3. They love to help me out at the kitchen whenever I bake. I enjoy this type of bonding with them.

    This weekend I will try out this pie and let you know how it goes.

    Before I make the pie can I check with you for the dairy whipping cream for decoration, should I beat it to soft peak or stiff. Also how to make the chocolate sauce?

    Thank you.

    With Love,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacqueline,

    My name is not Lynda. *wink*

    I am the lucky one who can find support from my family in whatever I put on the table.

    Yes baking is a good bonding tool for my kids and myself too.

    As for the whipping cream, I whipped till stiff. For the sauce, just melt it in a double boiler. I usually add a little cream to liquify it a little. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jacqueline,

    My name is not Lynda. *wink*

    I am the lucky one who can find support from my family in whatever I put on the table.

    Yes baking is a good bonding tool for my kids and myself too.

    As for the whipping cream, I whipped till stiff. For the sauce, just melt it in a double boiler. I usually add a little cream to liquify it a little. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hi,

    Oh no! I am so sorry to address you wrongly. My apology ;)

    I love to bake too. But not everytime is successful. Like last nite I show my girl (5 yr old) and my boy (3 yr old) the mickey mouse cookie cutter. They are very excited. As this is the first time I am doing it, my dough gets soft very easy, that makes it very difficult to handle. After we bake the cookie, the cookie taste good and crispy, but this morning when my children wants to bring some cookies to share with their friends in the school, the cookies turn soft. We did put inside a airtight container. Very disspointed.

    But I will not give up, will try to explore again.

    Thank you for your help.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  10. No worries Jac,

    As for the cookie dough, try chilling it in small portions so that you work on one portion at a time.

    Did you cool the cookies completely before storing?

    You got the spirit. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jacqueline,

    My name is not Lynda. *wink*

    I am the lucky one who can find support from my family in whatever I put on the table.

    Yes baking is a good bonding tool for my kids and myself too.

    As for the whipping cream, I whipped till stiff. For the sauce, just melt it in a double boiler. I usually add a little cream to liquify it a little. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hi,

    Oh no! I am so sorry to address you wrongly. My apology ;)

    I love to bake too. But not everytime is successful. Like last nite I show my girl (5 yr old) and my boy (3 yr old) the mickey mouse cookie cutter. They are very excited. As this is the first time I am doing it, my dough gets soft very easy, that makes it very difficult to handle. After we bake the cookie, the cookie taste good and crispy, but this morning when my children wants to bring some cookies to share with their friends in the school, the cookies turn soft. We did put inside a airtight container. Very disspointed.

    But I will not give up, will try to explore again.

    Thank you for your help.

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my humble blog. A little note sends a thousand encouragements.

Do leave a name rather than anonymous ID.



Let's learn and share together.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin